Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving Centerpiece

Hi everyone!  Happy Thanksgiving.  Hope you get a chance to spend this holiday with family and friends!  I'm taking a break in between making the butternut squash soup and cranberry sauce to do a bit o' blogging.  In honor of the holiday, we thought we'd share our Thanksgiving Centerpiece project.  Another coworker of mine asked if I would make her something to display on her dinner table.  My mom and I had just come off of a Halloween cake pop high (black cats, mummies, jack-o-lanterns, pirates, etc.) so we were excited to see what different designs this upcoming holiday would bring.

Finally, we decided on turkeys and pumpkins.  Lots of the turkey cake pops we saw on the internet needed M&Ms, pretzels, candy corn, and other candies to make the look complete but we don't really like having to buy lots of extra materials to accessorize the cake pop.  We thought about shaping the turkey tail feathers out of cake but found it would be too complicated to color later on, so we broke down and bought some candy corn.  I piped on the turkey heads with candy melt and used a broken piece of candy corn for the beak.





To make the pumpkins look more realistic (as opposed to the simple spheres we used for jack-o-lanterns for Halloween), we made them more ovoid-shaped (basically, we made a sphere and then squished it), then scored them with a chopstick (readily available in our Taiwanese American kitchen :).  My mom piped candy melt into stems, and I piped on the vines and leaves.

We also made 17 regular spherical cake pops and piped on the letters "Happy Thanksgiving."  When assembled, the centerpiece looked like this:

All packaged and ready to go!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment